Service User Account
It is recommended that ProKnow DICOM Agent be installed using a service user account created specifically for this application. Application data files are stored within the home directory of the user account that was used for the installation. This ensures that access to these files must be authorized by an administrator.
It is recommended that ProKnow DICOM Agent be installed on hardware that utilizes device encryption to protect data, including protected health information (PHI) and personally identifiable information (PII). Please see the Microsoft support article Device Encryption in Windows 10 for more information.
Replacing DICOM DS
While ProKnow DICOM Agent and its predecessor DICOM DS can certainly co-exist on the same hardware, most users will want to completely replace DICOM DS with ProKnow DICOM Agent. DICOM DS can be uninstalled as follows:
- Retain the DICOM DS configuration by saving or printing a copy of the configuration file that is located, by default, at C:\ProgramData\DICOM DS\configuration.json. This configuration can later be manually entered in ProKnow DICOM Agent.
- Uninstall DICOM DS using the menu options Start > Settings > Apps, clicking on the ProKnow DICOM DS application, clicking on the Uninstall button, and following the instructions.
Downloading the Installer
ProKnow DICOM Agent is designed to run on Windows, as a Windows service. The following link allows you to download the latest Windows installer (recommended).
For previous versions of ProKnow DICOM Agent, please see the Release Notes.
- Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 or newer
- .NET Framework 3.5 - For a free version, visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21, select your preferred language, and click on the Download button to install it.
Using the Installer
- Download and run the installer as an administrator. Please note that you may receive message(s) asking you to confirm whether you wish to allow the installer executable to run. In order to use the installer, you will need to make the appropriate selections.
- Once the installer starts, you will be brought to a welcome page. When you're ready to continue, press the Next
- The End-User License Agreement (EULA) will be displayed. Please read the EULA. To continue with the installation you will need to check the box indicating that you accept the EULA terms and press the Next
- The next page allows you to choose the folder in which to install the application. Press the Change button to select a different folder. Press the Next button to continue.
- On the next page, when you're ready to begin the installation, press the Install Please note that you may receive message(s) asking you to confirm whether you wish to allow the installation. In order to install the application, you will need to make the appropriate selections.
- The installation page will show the progress. Once complete, the installation will automatically progress to the next page.
- The last page will confirm that the install is complete. Click on the Configure ProKnow DICOM Agent link to open the Management Console in your default web browser.
- Press Finish to close the installer.
What is the installer doing?
- Installs the application executable, library, configuration, and uninstaller files in the directory specified during the installation, by default C:\Program Files\Elekta\ProKnow DICOM Agent\.
- Installs the application as Windows service with the name ProKnowDICOMAgentService and startup type of Automatic (Delayed Start). This ensures the service will automatically start whenever the system is restarted.
- Installs the application database as %UserProfile%\ProKnow DICOM Agent\Database\ProKnow.DicomAgent.Infrastructure.db.
- Sets the path to the application log file folder as %UserProfile%\ProKnow DICOM Agent\Logs. Please see Configuring Options and Configuring Log Retention for more information about logging.
- Initializes RootDirectory settings in the appsettings.json file, located in the application installation directory, that contains the root directories within which to restrict browsing. There is a separate root directory setting for each path type: credentials files, watched folders, anonymization configuration files, original DICOM local storage folders, and anonymized DICOM local storage folders. These settings can be edited only when the ProKnow DICOM Agent application Windows service is stopped.
- Registers the uninstaller so that the application may be located and uninstalled from your Control Panel.
CAUTION: When utilizing anonymization, it is important to ensure that the database file is included in your automatic backups. Loss of the database may result in duplication of patient IDs or UIDs for subsequent anonymizations, which could cause unexpected results in DICOM associations (e.g., a newly anonymized dataset may get added to an already existing anonymized dataset where the anonymized Patient ID was the same).